Friday 14 February 2014

Echeveria pulvinata 'Ruby"

Well, we are still battling the heat here but fortunately we are expecting cooler temperatures and rain - yes rain - in the weekend. I dont know who's looking forward to it more, me or the plants!
I thought I would show you one of my favourites - Echeveria pulvinata 'Ruby'. Stunning isnt it? It likes a sunny spot to bring the colours out well and has furry leaves and stunning flowers. Great in the garden or in a pot and easily propagated from the leaves, or head cuts.  At the moment I have none available for mail order but am busily propagating more of this very popular one.

3 comments:

  1. I have no idea how this works, so I'm just going to try to post this and see what happens.
    I've had on of these for a year or so, as a container plant. It is in my sunniest window. The stems are now long instead of shorter like some of the pictures I see. It didn't bloom this fall. I just put it into a larger pot and it seems happy. How do I care for this beautiful plant so it stays healthy? And- how do I propagate (I only just found out that I could)? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June, lovely to hear from a fellow succulent lover! This plant likes plenty of sunlight to get the red edges to colour up on the leaves. Not enough sun maybe the reason it hasn't flowered. I would leave propagating until spring and then cut the rosettes from the stems, dry them for a week and replant. This is the quickest way to get fairly quick results. You can also remove some leaves and lay them on well draining soil. Give an occasional water and they should form little rosettes in time. During winter keep it fairly dry and once the weather starts to warm up give it a feed of a high potash fertiliser such as Rose food. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I have one of these and it is so sad. I live in Montana and it is still winter, hardly enough sun or warmth. I have it currently under a grow light for the days and in a warm spot so the nights don't get too cold. It has very dry, dead flowers from last year on it. Well, not anymore, I plucked the dead flower heads off this morning. I was wondering if I should trim the dry, hard branches where the flowers were off? It is currently long and gangly with the dry branches bare and hard. Please help!

    ReplyDelete